Sunday 13 November 2011

Swimming Into Trouble

I know what we'll do today, we'll bring the family swimming. Me and the wife and our darling, chilled out, lovely natured daughter. Swimming. What a great thought. She'll love it. We'll all love it. Bring her to the pool, introduce her to the water, I'll show her how it's done. We'll make it a regular thing...

Yeah right..

Started off great. Got the water proof nappy on on. Got the swim suit on her. She looked very cute. I walked her into to the pool area and I noticed the first signs of tension from her. She was walking very slowly and looking nervously at the pristine water to her left. Not a ripple from the water as we were the first in this morning. She stopped and looked up at me with pleading eyes. I could see her thinking "Don't do this dad! I love you and you love me. Why would you even think of doing this?".

Wifey had gone in just before us to pave the way. As I neared the steps into pool she stopped. She looked at me again, then her mum then the water. "No chance I'm going in there!" I could hear her eyes screaming..

I lifted her and gently walked into the pool, down the shallow steps. All was silent. Silent until the moment her feet touched the tepid water. The blood curdling scream that emanated from her mouth cooled the water by a couple of degrees I'm sure. She was inconsolable. For the next 10 minutes we tried everything to get her to enjoy what was meant to be our new regular thing, something we could all do together. I tried the arm bands, various blow up things and the fish float. I don't think she'll ever forgive me for the fish float!

Never mind my daugher, I think i'm traumatised. I think swimming's off the agenda for now. Off to the zoo I think next week.


1 comment:

  1. Also my first experience of blogging Doug, however you appear to be doing so well and it's a scary moment I'm sure for any father (or would be father like myself) to contemplate the experiences you're having with your little girl. I commend you and your wife! Will there be another though or was it 1 swimming experience too many? I for one consider having children with my wife regularly; however it becomes a debate on input/output. Don’t get me wrong - I'm not cold hearted at all, however I love my life here in Oz and am hesitant to submit to all things small and noisy that excel at causing sleep deprivation. What will I get back from this child that I couldn't get from (say) a puppy, or another international adventure?? No doubt you have views - convince me I am shallow, and therefore wrong!

    ReplyDelete